Pages

Saturday 30 March 2013

Well, I'm certainly getting a little scared.


It's dissertation time. I question whether or not it's ethically acceptable for doctors to use the media as a means for blowing the whistle on poor patient care. The dreaded phrase 'culture of fear' just keeps coming up - over and over and OVER again. In order to put forward a good case, I often ask myself whether I should be writing my thesis as a future patient (it's likely - my chances of living till I'm at least 100 are looking pretty good - *check out the link at the bottom of this entry*) or a future doctor. 

Even though we hear the term 'whistleblow' banded around regularly, it isn't actually a real word you know - it's not in the Oxford English Dictionary. However, I would like to point out that 'bootylicious' and 'tittynope' are. If you don't believe me, I pray you take a look for yourself. Anyway, however you want to describe the action of informing someone about illicit  activities that occur in the establishment you work at, I'm going to make the claim that it's probably done with good intentions. 

If that's the case, then why are so many whistleblowers silenced? You do wonder that when there's legislation to protect them (Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998).  Why should I be scared to speak up if I'm concerned about something going on when I become a doctor? I shouldn't. 

Does it matter if I choose to use the media as a means for doing so? Good question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis