Pages

Sunday 13 January 2013

Didn't you know that it's bad luck to walk under a ladder?

The word 'inspire' came up quite a few times in my life this week. Just so you know, I'm not one of those superstitious types. I mean obviously I have a lucky number, my weekly horoscope always comes true and I NEVER put brand new shoes on a table. Nevertheless, I feel like this word keeps popping up in random places for some unbeknown reason.

Over dinner last term, I found myself engaged in a heated debate with my peers over role-models (as Bioethics students do..hmm). From what I remember, pretty much the only thing that we all agreed on was that it's wrong to idolise someone. So all you 'Beliebers' out there, I'd advise you not to cross any of our paths. 
(Source: http://sites.psu.edu/taliatyndall/2012/11/01/bald-for-bieber/)

I don't entirely agree. Someone who inspires may be a role-model and they don't have to be an all-singing, all-dancing teen sensation. I had tea with my old French teacher earlier this week and she showed me the thank you/retirement card I gave her when I was fourteen. Inside it, I thanked her for inspiring me by encouraging me to persevere with languages although I found them difficult. 

A friend of mine bought a book this week called 'What The Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast' as she was feeling motivated, 'Carpe Diem' she said.   Incredible, I thought. Maybe she was feeling inspired. By seizing the day, she encouraged me to want to seize mine. 

So does it matter what form a role-model comes in? Is it relevant whether your inspiration comes from a relative, teacher, friend, musician or a complete stranger? I think not. Nevertheless, I do accept that I often come across as though I see the world through rose tinted spectacles so if you disagree with me then fair play to you. I'm open to suggestions. Until then, 'Hakuna matata'. No worries.  

2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog, here's my immediate thoughts

    There's nothing wrong with having people that inspire you to go on to do whatever it is that you end up doing. In a way, being inspired by someone is just another way to say that they have influenced you (and more often than not, this inspiration is in a positive way). Likewise, more often than not, having an idol or role-model is a good thing for young people. The problem with having an idol or role-model though, in my opinion, is that the the influence can go both ways and people can get negatively effected by following particular people. Essentially, there's no objective test of what it is to be an idol or role-model, where as someone who is "inspirational" has a quality or attribute which is desirable. That's why I choose to take inspiration from those people who leave something with me that helps me fulfil my goals and I try to work out what sort of person I ought to be using objective means, rather than use any particular idol or role-model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this Chinedu.

      I agree with you, and I'm glad that this entry served its purpose by stimulating others to think about what the terms used mean to them. Personally, I think that there's a difference between an idol and a role-model. I wouldn't say that I idolised anyone but I look to several individuals for inspiration and, therefore, I would say that they act as role-models in my life (although I'm sure that they don't even realise it!). You're right though, it's a subjective concept. That's precisely the conclusion - albeit brief - that I tried to come to in the final paragraph.

      Thanks again for your thoughts!

      Delete

ShareThis