Pages

Sunday 6 January 2013

'When I grow up, I wanna be famous, I wanna be a star, I wanna be in movies'

*Firstly, I feel I should thank the Pussycat Dolls for providing young girls with such high aspirations. 

                      (Source: www.graphicsbeam.com/inspiration/classic-album-cover-designs/)

I've always been one of the oldest in my school year. Secretly, I was pretty proud of that fact as it definitely meant that I could always play the 'but I'm older than you' card whenever I wanted my own way. Now, a lot of my (non-medic) friends are currently trying to find work experience, work out which careers they want to go into and apply for internships and jobs. And all of a sudden I feel extremely young.

They say that I'm lucky - 'Chantie, at least you know what job you're going to do.' Maybe. But it's a long way off right? By the time I've finished university, if all goes well, most of those friends will have been working and earning for 2-3 years. They'll be grown-ups. It's a curious position to be in. Currently, I'm loving intercalating. I'm learning to question my actions and not just regurgitate the facts given to me in a pharmacology textbook. Medicine versus Bioethics. The right thing to do versus the right thing to do?  It's also a year for me to, like my friends, be sure that this is the career that I want to go into.

Despite having made slow progress on my law essay during this holiday, I can see the benefit of this year and I'm really enjoying managing my own time. Even so, I'm missing Medicine. Maybe I am young, but it's not a bad thing. No responsibility, no worries, no pressure.  I used one of those online countdown timers to work out (roughly) how long it'll be before I graduate. The answer? 1300 days. When put like that, it doesn't seem quite that long? Fine, I'm living in a fool's paradise.  But a Doctor by 2016? Bring it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis