Pages

Saturday 29 December 2012

Who ate all the (mince) pies? Me, apparently.



Turkey demolished? Check. Watched the Downton Abbey Christmas Special? Let's not even go there, but yes, check. Twitter guilt trip? Massive check.

Slumped on the sofa, pretty impressed by my hearty appetite/appalled by my over-indulgence, I was horrified to find that the first comment on my twitter feed read '5 ways to cut calories on Christmas Day'. I'm so stunned (and full) that I can't even muster up the energy to use an exclamation mark to express my dismay. Oh dear Chantal, so melodramatic. 

Fine, for the sake of argument I'll play devil's advocate. Let's take a look at the statistics. In the UK, 60.8% of adults were classified as overweight and over 25% of adults classified as obese in 2009 and the figures are rising. Fast. We're all very aware that there's a problem that isn't restricted to our friends across the Atlantic. Enough scaremongering, I thought I'd make an (albeit pretty poor) attempt to justify my food intake this Christmas - here goes...

It's a given that we overdo it but surely Christmas lunch is the one meal a year where we throw all of our health concerns out of the window? I'm all for living healthy lifestyles but nothing beats a good Christmas spread! And now that I think about it, Santa's not looking so great around the waistline but you don't see anyone making him feel bad about it do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis